After cutting it down to a appropriate size I used plaster to make solid copies. On a side note, don’t try and rush de- molding plaster of paris. You will just end up with a mess.
After only one failed pour I had my forms!
To put pressure down evenly on my foam I took a scrap piece of acrylic that has been laying around my shop and used a dremel to cut it in to shape. After gluing my forms down to a board I used my heat gun and my make shift press to get this shape. I still ended up on my hands and knees pressing this into place.
My parents said I could do anything when I grew up. So I gave a floor mat boobs!
After my wonderful wife gave me the shape she wanted it was off to seal this up for painting. EVA foam is very porous and does not paint well if you don’t prep it right. A mix of white glue and water will seal it up. The glue I used is a craft glue called Sobo that you can get at any craft store, but regular Elmer’s glue will work as well. I use about a 2 parts glue to 1 part water mix. And by that I mean I totally just eyeballed it. But if I had to guess I would say 2to1 is about right.
Now even though its been sealed I want a primer layer down before I start painting.
This is just one coat of Plasti-Dip out of the spray can. The high gloss shine goes away after it dries.
Now I just recently discovered acrylic spray paint, and I think I’m in love. Super high pigmentation, excellent coverage, flexible, low odor, fast drying time, mixable and blendable. The only draw back is that they average $10 a pop. Oh and you have to shake them for at least 3 minutes or you can ruin the whole can. The Liquitex brand they now carry at Michaels craft stores. They don’t have as wide a color selection as the Gold brand (which Arizona Art Supply carries) but you can color match to their regular acrylic paints which might come in handy in the future. The Gold brand Chrome came out more like a bright silver, but chrome in a can never looks like the real deal. The Liquitex transparent yellow was tricky to work with at first but I think I nailed the metallic yellow look that my wife wanted. To top the whole thing off I clear coated it in a gloss acrylic sealer and glued to the suit using fabri-tac. My only failure was the hands. The clear coat wont dry on vinyl and the yellow will flake if it does not have a top coat. But we did get to coin the term “handruff” at free comic book day, so all was not in vain. Check out the other half of this build here oneblackcatsuit/wasp
One thought on “Wasp Armor”
“Handruff” was our secret!!! ok I was going to write about it too…<3